Think of the successful leaders you know. They probably have one trait in common – the ability to communicate effectively.
Kids need the Youth Leadership program so they can grow to meet the challenges of adulthood and leadership successfully. Sponsored and conducted by Toastmasters International and its local clubs, Youth Leadership helps young people build their communication and leadership skills so they may become tomorrow’s leaders in business, industry and the community.
Purpose of the Program
Every young person has the potential to become a good communicator and leader, but this potential needs to be developed. The program’s unique eight-session, workshop-style design enables participants to develop this potential through practical experience.
The program is not in competition with school programs or courses, or other established youth projects. Instead, it’s a supplement to these programs, providing emphasis on specialized speaking and leadership skills, and individual needs.
The Speechcraft program allows experienced Toastmasters to present the fundamentals of public speaking to non-members in an atmosphere of a Toastmasters club meeting. It’s a great way to promote membership in your community or company club, as Speechcraft brings prospective new members to a meeting to see, first-hand, what Toastmasters is all about.
Speechcraft has several benefits. Participants become a part of your club meetings. They come to know and enjoy the club’s fellowship while gaining confidence and training in their communication skills. Many Toastmasters members indicate they joined their club because they participated in a Speechcraft program. Clubs that conduct a Speechcraft program at least once each year have few membership problems.
Speechcraft also benefits the members of your club. The program gives club members new opportunities to exercise their communication and leadership abilities. It also increases interest and attendance among all members.
Put Your Professional Speaking Skills to the Test-Show the World that You’re an Accredited Speaker
The Toastmasters International Accredited Speaker Program is designed for professional speakers who combine expert knowledge in a particular subject with mastery of the spoken word, making them sought-after experts in their respective fields. They’re able to convey their unique message in engaging, informative speeches to audiences both large and small. Because their skills and expertise make them in-demand speakers and valued subject matter resources to organizations and companies, they’re regularly hired and paid to speak professionally. This income represents all or a significant part of their annual earnings.
Does this sound like you? If you’ve got what it takes, you’re invited to apply for the Accredited Speaker Program.
PDUs Through Toastmasters International
|Toastmasters and Leadership
Leadership takes practice. In Toastmasters, members learn leadership skills by organizing and conducting meetings and completing projects in manuals. Projects address skills such as listening, planning, motivating, and team building and give members the opportunity to practice them. Just as Toastmasters members improve communication by speaking, they learn leadership skills by leading.EARN PDUs WHILE ENHANCING YOUR COMMUNICATION
AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS
Since TI’s educational program focuses on both communication and leadership, there is alignment among those activities at the club level and Professional Development Units (PDUs) within the PMI certification framework. Toastmaster clubs provide members who are PMI-certified professionals an opportunity to gain PDUs. PDUs for Toastmasters activities can be reported under the areas of Education or Giving Back to the Profession. Keep in mind that just attending Toastmasters meetings does not necessarily qualify as self-directed learning. You need to participate. PMI-certified professionals should follow the Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR) handbook and will be subject to audit as any other type of PDU claim.
|Benefits for PMI-certified Professionals
The benefits are incredible for PMI-certified professionals taking advantage of the Toastmasters proven hands-on education method, and include the following:
- Education– First and foremost – the benefit and value is to yourself and your own personal and professional development. No one is a born leader or a super communicator. As with anything, the effort you put into it is directly proportional to your benefit gained. Toastmasters practice is at your own pace to fit your individual goals for progress. PMI-certified professionals, along with Toastmasters event participants gain valuable, practical, and useful education with hands-on experience and practice of communication and leadership skills.
- PDUs for PMI-Certified Professionals – Another way to gain PDUs toward the required 60 PDUs over three years to keep your PMI certification current – Affordably! Essentially almost FREE education that you practice with other Toastmasters as your peers. The cost to the PMI-certified professionals interested in taking advantage of these opportunities is only for the Toastmasters curriculum manuals (approx. $10/manual) and membership dues which are minimal (approx. $45 for 6-month membership term plus club dues). This translates to a very minimal cost per PDU in today’s tough economy.
- Toastmaster Certifications and Recognition – Accreditation by an international organization renowned for churning out great Leaders and Speakers. Toastmasters’ certifications add more credentials after your name, such as Competent Leader and Competent Communicator.
- Networking Opportunities – A multitude of Toastmasters events within several levels of the organizational structure allow PMI-certified professionals to get involved: Chapter, Area, Division, District, or International Conventions; Speech Contests; Speech-A-Thons; TLI – Toastmasters Learning Institute; Workshops; Speechcraft; TV appearances; Keynote speakers; etc… Conversely, the PMI-sponsored events allow Toastmasters to be involved in, and network with, other PMI-certified professionals.
- Camaraderie – with other Toastmasters within the club, the area, the division, the district, and even internationally. There are over 332,000 Toastmaster members worldwide, with 15,400 clubs in 115 countries, and you can attend each club’s events as an active Toastmaster member. Toastmaster camaraderie is similar to the camaraderie you grow to feel with other PMI members and PMI-certified professionals.
- Cross Promotion Synergies – Participating Toastmasters chapters will promote the Project Management discipline tied well to their leadership skills practice, and conversely the PMI Pittsburgh chapter will promote development of communication and leadership skills offered by Toastmasters – that’s a WIN-WIN!!!
How to Learn More About Toastmasters and PDUs
- Visit any of our clubs located downtown Pittsburgh or at Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods.
- Learn more at District 13’s website – http://www.d13tm.com/education/pdus
- For the latest information and answers to your questions, join our mailing list by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org