|Toastmasters and Leadership
Leadership takes practice. In Toastmasters, members learn leadership skills by organizing and conducting meetings and completing projects in manuals. Projects address skills such as listening, planning, motivating, and team building and give members the opportunity to practice them. Just as Toastmasters members improve communication by speaking, they learn leadership skills by leading.
EARN PDUs WHILE ENHANCING YOUR COMMUNICATION
AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS
Since TI’s educational program focuses on both communication and leadership, there is alignment among those activities at the club level and Professional Development Units (PDUs) within the PMI certification framework. Toastmaster clubs provide members who are PMI-certified professionals an opportunity to gain PDUs. PDUs for Toastmasters activities can be reported under the areas of Education or Giving Back to the Profession. Keep in mind that just attending Toastmasters meetings does not necessarily qualify as self-directed learning. You need to participate. PMI-certified professionals should follow the Continuing Certification Requirements (CCR) handbook and will be subject to audit as any other type of PDU claim.
- Education– First and foremost – the benefit and value is to yourself and your own personal and professional development. No one is a born leader or a super communicator. As with anything, the effort you put into it is directly proportional to your benefit gained. Toastmasters practice is at your own pace to fit your individual goals for progress. PMI-certified professionals, along with Toastmasters event participants gain valuable, practical, and useful education with hands-on experience and practice of communication and leadership skills.
- PDUs for PMI-Certified Professionals – Another way to gain PDUs toward the required 60 PDUs over three years to keep your PMI certification current – Affordably! Essentially almost FREE education that you practice with other Toastmasters as your peers. The cost to the PMI-certified professionals interested in taking advantage of these opportunities is only for the Toastmasters curriculum manuals (approx. $10/manual) and membership dues which are minimal (approx. $45 for 6-month membership term plus club dues). This translates to a very minimal cost per PDU in today’s tough economy.
- Toastmaster Certifications and Recognition – Accreditation by an international organization renowned for churning out great Leaders and Speakers. Toastmasters’ certifications add more credentials after your name, such as Competent Leader and Competent Communicator.
- Networking Opportunities – A multitude of Toastmasters events within several levels of the organizational structure allow PMI-certified professionals to get involved: Chapter, Area, Division, District, or International Conventions; Speech Contests; Speech-A-Thons; TLI – Toastmasters Learning Institute; Workshops; Speechcraft; TV appearances; Keynote speakers; etc… Conversely, the PMI-sponsored events allow Toastmasters to be involved in, and network with, other PMI-certified professionals.
- Camaraderie – with other Toastmasters within the club, the area, the division, the district, and even internationally. There are over 332,000 Toastmaster members worldwide, with 15,400 clubs in 115 countries, and you can attend each club’s events as an active Toastmaster member. Toastmaster camaraderie is similar to the camaraderie you grow to feel with other PMI members and PMI-certified professionals.
- Cross Promotion Synergies – Participating Toastmasters chapters will promote the Project Management discipline tied well to their leadership skills practice, and conversely the PMI Pittsburgh chapter will promote development of communication and leadership skills offered by Toastmasters – that’s a WIN-WIN!!!
How to Learn More About Toastmasters and PDUs
- Visit any of our clubs located downtown Pittsburgh or at Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods.
- Learn more at District 13’s website – http://www.d13tm.com/education/pdus
- For the latest information and answers to your questions, join our mailing list by sending an email to email@example.com