DISTRICT 13 LEADERSHIP TEAM – THE QUAD
District 13’s top leaders are an impressive group. Read their bios below.
Members Matter Most
As District 13 Director, I am honored to serve our members by bringing more awareness to Toastmasters International and District 13. Our theme will continue to be Members Matter Most.
As we are almost half way through the Toastmasters year, examine your goals for your membership and what you seek to accomplish from your speeches, service to your club, and leadership roles. I challenge you to face your fears and step outside of your comfort zone.
Club Growth Director, Mary Cornwall, DTM, is working with you to build new clubs and help struggling clubs. Program Quality Director, Denise Etter, DTM, is working with you to provide excellent training and educational opportunities.
You can always reach out to your Area Director, Division Director, or the Trio if you have questions, need resources, or are looking for guidance.
Jennifer Sell, DTM
District Director, 2017-2018
Program Quality Director
As your Program Quality Director, I am honored to serve our members by bringing more awareness of the Toastmasters International educational programs.
Already in this Toastmaster year we’ve completed a successful Fall Conference and a leadership event in early December…we look ahead now to TLI in January.
Please explore the links below and embrace leadership through the engagement opportunities available through our wide range of programs and events.
- The Toastmasters Educational Program offers something for everyone. Start your personal journey today!
- The Distinguished Club Program and Club Success Plan is one way to track club management and members’ progress.
- Distinguished Club Program Reports available on the Distinguished Performance Reports Dashboard give current status of a club.
- For speech contest rules and training, refer to the Speech Contests page. We also suggest all contest volunteers and judges watch TI’s Speech Contests online training module.
- You can’t learn without other club members! Refer to our Increasing Club Membership page for suggestions about growing and retaining club membership.
Moments of Truth
Constructive feedback is the greatest gift we can give in Toastmasters. Just as you take time to evaluate speakers and functionaries at a regular meeting, take time to evaluate the overall health of your club. Does your club provide a welcoming, supportive environment for members to achieve their goals? Are members getting what they need and want from the club?
The Moments of Truth module from The Successful Club Series is an excellent place to start. This special presentation outlines six key criteria for sustaining a strong and healthy club. How does your club measure up? What can you do to improve?
Thank you to all who have worked with your clubs to enrich and, in some cases, revive them. Remember why you joined. Why do you stay? Share your experiences and knowledge with new members. To all our many new members, seek out others to help you reach your goals. Lifelong learning never ends. We are all in this together. My team is here to listen and find ways to help you make a difference in your life and perhaps in the lives of others.
Look for me at upcoming events where you can feel free to share with me in person, your goals, your accomplishments, and how our District can continue to better serve you.
Denise Etter, DTM
Program Quality Director 2017-2018
“Real communication is impossible without listening.” Dr. Ralph Smedley
Club Growth Director
It is my honor to serve as your 2017-2018 District13 Club Growth Director.
The District 13 mission is to build new clubs and to support all clubs and members in achieving excellence, and as declared by our District Director: ‘Members Matter Most.’
As Club Growth Director I am responsible for all aspects of marketing, club building, and club retention efforts within the district.
Serving in Toastmasters is a wonderful learning opportunity, both personally and professionally, and there are many roles within the District that allow you to become more involved and further your leadership and communication skills.
Please consider joining the Club Growth Team. There will be four club growth teams working together to ensure our club support, club building, and member successes. All teams will work with our Area and Division Directors. Consider acting as a sponsor or a mentor for a new club or become a club coach for a struggling club in our district. The Club Growth Team roles can be your HP Leadership Project and some roles can be applied towards your Advanced Leadership Silver goal.
The Club Retention Team will ensure clubs retain their membership and that their members’ needs are being met.
The Club Coach Team will recruit and place club coaches and will review the area reports and club coach reports.
The Club Retention and Club Coach Teams will work closely together.
The Club Extension Team will recruit and train sponsors and mentors and will provide guidance to our demo teams.
The New Club Development Team will help District 13 grow by cultivating and researching new club leads and then qualifying those leads based on the type of club request and location.
The Club Extension and New Club Development Teams will work closely together.
I look forward to further developing our Teamwork skills as we celebrate all of our club support, member, and club building successes and to learning from and working through the occasional obstacles.
I encourage you to pick your leadership role within your club or your district; apply your best self and do that role with great passion and determination. Most of all enjoy what you are doing and enjoy the camaraderie of our fellow team members! As Toastmasters, we all look forward to enhancing the Toastmaster experience.
In closing: I admire the commitment each of you makes to Toastmasters!
- Let’s continue to share the Toastmasters experience.
- Let’s continue be a positive leadership influence in our communities and our work places.
- Let’s continue to expand our communication and leadership networks both professionally and socially.
All the best to you!
Mary Cornwall, DTM
District 13 Club Growth Director, 2017-2018
Public Relations Manager
As your District Public Relations Manager, I am greatly honored to serve the district as a whole, the clubs in the district, and most importantly the members. Regardless of anybody’s role in Toastmasters: a club officer, a club member, a district officer, or even a guest interested in Toastmasters, Members Matter Most, and members are what makes Toastmasters International so very great in helping others achieve their communication and leadership goals and improve their self-confidence.
My role as the Public Relations Manager encompasses working with the district leadership to accomplish the following:
- Maintain and enhance communication between the district and its members
- Work to increase public awareness of Toastmasters International through media
- Prepare a public relations program designed to achieve goals for membership growth, club growth, and educational achievements in clubs, not to mention the Distinguished Club Program
- Promote district conferences, events, and also leadership training opportunities (TLI sessions)
My vision to accomplish the above-mentioned includes the following:
- To create and implement various tools and resources that sustain and enhance open channels that VPPRs (Vice President of Public Relations Club Officers) have with District 13 to aid in the growth of their individual district clubs
- Augment member and educational achievement recognition within the district
- Provide resources, support, and encouragement to help members in their Toastmasters journeys
- Retention of core components of the previous year’s PRM Strategy with scalable enhancements to remain a district with a distinguished online presence that fosters a great sense of community
- Implement and provide timely promotional media to members of the district pertaining to district conferences, speech contests, TLI sessions, and any other relevant district events
My call to action to you is to attend one of your club’s executive committee meetings and see what your club’s PR goals are for the 2017-2018 year. If you are not a VPPR club officer, see if you can help your club’s VPPR and even your club’s VPM (Vice President of Membership) with projects such as open houses, speech contests, or just simple online and community media to help your club reach new heights and grow.
If you have any questions, need resources, need assistance, or are looking for guidance feel free to reach out to me at PRM@d13tm.com or the other members of the Quad. Feel free to share with me how our District can better serve you or your club.
Max Lieberth, ACB, Public Relations Manager, 2017-2018